As I am working on a few top secret projects, I can’t post about them but here is something I’ve had on the back burner since January. It’s from a vintage Patons and Baldwins pattern from the 1930’s. My father did his art apprenticeship with a printmaker many moons ago and believes the process they used for the 3 colour cover was popular at that time and things then changed post WW2. I’m glad we came to that conclusion because none of our vintage patterns are dated! The pattern for Baby’s Vest G, is the one I’m working on. It’s more of a kimono-style wrap with ribbon tie closures. The pattern called for it to be knit up in K1,P1 rib but because I’m such a sucker for moss stitch, that’s what I decided on. It’s slow going with 4-ply wool on 2.75mm needles but am about half way up the body. The sleeves shouldn’t take much doing, which is encouraging.
I chose some Aussie Patons Dreamtime which is so lovely and soft and is 100% wool. Patons don’t do a red, so I got some Cleckheaton Merino Bambino in a wonderful rich red for another vintage project and whatever is leftover will get striped up into a sleeveless vest. I also fancy making Pattern E, which is a ballerina wrap……..all these projects, never enough time.